Friday, October 14, 2011

Don't just talk about it!

"Enough talk already....do something about it!" Those words burned in my head so often during my days at seminary. I went to a VERY conservative seminary and I was around a wide range of people pursuing ministry. I had the privilege to be friends and acquaintances with people that are now doing amazing work for the Lord. People that are in the trenches right now. Whether that trench is living in a foreign country or on staff at a local church. These people are the real deal and they "put their money where their mouth is!" so to speak. But in my seminary days, I was also around people that did ALOT of talking. They were either talking about, debating about or studying about the Bible, theology, religion, etc. I can remember almost at the same time each week a certain group of men would sit around at the local eatery and discuss a variety of subjects, and seemed to know all the answers. Yet, I never saw or heard of them going on a mission trip, serving in their local church or for some of them, just being a nice person!

I am beginning a study on David and a verse stuck out to me this morning about David, his personality and his drive. Psalms 78:72 states, "And David shepherded them with integrity of heart and with skillful hand he led them." David who is called a "man after God's heart", led with both integrity (thoughts and convictions) but also with skillful hands (actions). David did not just hoard the knowledge of God in order to become the smartest and most theological savy of his time, but he applied this knowledge and actually led...He did something.

After reading the above passage and really contemplating about David's life it really convicted me. Am I just content to sit in or lead Bible study after Bible Study but too chicken to step out and actually "do" something for Christ? Am I content to go to church each Sunday, sing the right way, and give the right answers but are not willing to share the gospel with those I come in contact with in my daily life? I want to be called and thought of as a woman after God's heart. So taking a cue from David, I need to start putting "my money where my mouth is"!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment