Thursday, April 14, 2011

STOP, THINK, LISTEN and OBEY!

My precious preemie princess is now two and a fourth. When she was a mere two pounds and fighting to live in the NICU, I loved her fighting, spunky strong will. Now that she is a two year old that stomps her feet, crumples to the ground and throws a tantrum when she is told no I am not enjoying the strong will as much! I have read “The Strong Willed Child”, “Dare To Discipline”, “Bringing Up Girls” and now I am re-reading “Shepherding a Child’s Heart”. In going through, reading and studying these books, I have tried to put their methods into practice. I desire to teach my daughter to love the Lord, love the scriptures and have a desire to love others.


While I was growing up, the verse that was a big hit in our household was Exodus 20:12“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.” Now as a mother I want to instill the same principle into my daughter’s life. In trying to find a method and mantra that my daughter would respond to, I took a look back at my own life. I pulled out, and dusted off a skill I have not used in a while…CHEERLEADING! Here it is: STOP (put hand out in a stop motion), THINK (put pointer fingers on each side of your head, on the temples), LISTEN (cup hands on both ears), and OBEY (put hands on hips).

Here are some scriptures that go along with the
“STOP, THINK, LISTEN and OBEY cheer.

Stop:

Isaiah 1:16
Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong.

1 Corinthians 15:34
Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning;


Think:

Proverbs 21:2
A person may think their own ways are right, but the LORD weighs the heart.

Romans 13:14
Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


Listen:

Psalm 85:8
I will listen to what God the LORD says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants

Proverbs 1:8
Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.

Proverbs 8:33
Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not disregard it.


Obey:

Ephesians 6:1
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

Colossians 3:20
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Psalm 119:34
Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment