Monday, January 17, 2011

EVE

"Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! How could I have been so stupid, so easily misled? I knew that sinister serpent was sketchy! What had Adam always told me, most importantly what had God said? Do not eat of this one fruit, you can eat of anything else in the Garden but do not eat of this ONE fruit. AHHH the Garden. It was perfect there! We could run around and not worry about being hungry, or clothes, or fear of the animals or health issues, or pain, it was perfection, paradise. I did not have this pain and grossness every month, and wow do I not look forward to having another child. Cain and Abel were born with such ease, but now I do not look forward to having "pain" in childbirth. Adam did not have to work so hard to provide food and shelter for us. Poor Adam...OOOh Adam was so mad at me after he ate the fruit! Wait a minute, he ate the fruit too, why is he mad at me!!! Even though Adam is still angry and disappointed in me, the biggest regret that I feel and the one thing I miss the most is the true, real, no boundaries relationship I had with God. Now it is different, there is a seemingly cavern between us. Will our relationship ever be restored?"----EVE


The above are just some dialogue that I thought Eve may have possibly had running through her mind after she realized what she had done in eating the "forbidden fruit". She had lost her home, her health, her perfect marriage and most importantly her unhindered relationship with the Lord.

In Genesis 2 we see that God had created Eve as a partner for Adam. God had given her a perfect partner and a perfect life. Eve had flawless beauty and had no pain, no need, no suffering. All God asked in return was contentment. Contentment....not love, obedience, works, or sacrifice, but contentment. Eve's downfall and subsequent loss of her perfect life, happened because of her DISCONTENTMENT!

But don't we as women fight discontentment every day? If you are single, you want to be married. If you are married you want a child. If you have one child, you want another child. If you have a house, you want a bigger one. If you have a car, you want a better one. If you have your health, you desire beauty and perfection. We as women fight discontentment every day and in so many ways!

Yet, in trying to get rid of our discontenment we may be throwing away the paradise that God has planned for us! The paradise God has planned for you may be to be single while the paradise for many of your other friends may be marriage. God's paradise for me may be to be the mother of only one child while the paradise for some of my other friends may be to have a quiver full of children. Many times as women we miss out on enjoying the paradise God has for us because of our discontentment with the paradise that God has already given us! John Piper states in Desiring God, "God is most glorified, when we are most satisfied in HIM!"

What are you discontent about in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment