Friday, April 23, 2010

Tea Party

Luke 10:38-42

"Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving along? Then tell her to help me.!"


This morning Ava and I ran some errands and then got home. Ava was playing in her little play area in the kitchen and I was putting up dishes and wiping down the cabinets and countertop. I had just poured myself a cup of coffee and I look over and Ava was pulling out her tea party set. She looked at me and smiled. At first I thought about all the housework I needed to be working on while she was entertaining herself. But then I thought about how fast she is growing up and I did not want to miss out on a "mommy and daughter moment". So I set aside my cup of coffee and my "to-do" list and I sat down and had a tea party. Ava and I were joined in our tea party by her Cabbage Patch dolls and Curious George.

This scripture above and the real life experience that I had this morning just reminded me to put everything in my life into the correct perspective. In less then 18 years Ava will be graduating from high school and moving on into the exciting future that God has for her. She may be going on the mission field, entering college or starting a career. I don't want to miss a moment or take for granted the time that God has given me with my precious daughter. My calling as a mother is to invest in the spiritual, emotional, educational and physical life of my child. When Ava is grown up and she looks back at her childhood will she remember the perfect house that I kept or will she remember that I took the time to have a tea party?

No comments:

Post a Comment